Name:

I'm in process and finding my way and gaining clarity daily. Current explorations include but are not limited to: Equanimity/Letting Go, Humor/Accepting the Absurdity, Will/Desire, & Action/Making Manefest. For my post about how this blog was named go here

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Day 2 of the experiment: shifting focus on my own business before other's business

Yesterday was rocky, old habits die hard and I'd have rather done many other things than the things for myself on the list. I found that when I do things for my own household, I get overwhelmed really easily. It feels like a huge knot that I can't begin to untie before it is pulled tighter. I know this is all illusory. When I'm looking at an organization/nonprofit I can easily break down the tasks and see the elements that need to be tended to separately and can dispassionately envision a clear mission for the whole. Not so with my own life and the management of my own household. I get emotionally invested and lose all objectivity. I've long thought that it would be nice to trade housework with friends—they do mine, I do theirs. I know I'd enjoy and do theirs far better than I seem to tend to my own. In any case, I'm committed to doing my own, because it is after all my own. Hopefully I'll get better at it over time. I can say, that as disorienting as yesterday was, I woke up with momentum in the right direction. I'm a little revved to do more today than I did yesterday and to not let it weigh me down so much. I didn't do all the things on yesterday's list so I have good clarity on what can be started today. I care about the space I live and work in, I care about the members of my family and I care about our future, so I care about tending to our business. The business of living. I think I'll have a productive day, and if I don't, I'll keep at it.

Note to Nameless Daughter: Your efforts are meaningful and rewarding, keep at them but take them lightly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home