Name:

I'm in process and finding my way and gaining clarity daily. Current explorations include but are not limited to: Equanimity/Letting Go, Humor/Accepting the Absurdity, Will/Desire, & Action/Making Manefest. For my post about how this blog was named go here

Thursday, October 28, 2004

Just for the Joy of it

It's important to be excited about something so that I can handle the doldrums of the day to day little stuff and maintain momentum. I do not wake up excited each day naturally. I need something extra and interesting to focus on that maintains my momentum and energy level. Usually the core day to day maintenance things don't provide that energy in a reliable way.

…I knew a man who was building a completely hand hewn boat (a huge one, really, it was a major project and the amazing result which took him almost a decade to complete is seaworthy) as a hobby. He was not a boat-maker by trade, he was an educator by profession—he just wanted a project that would energize him and give him a healthy challenge and would take the edge off the things he felt obligated to. In fact, he knew little about the endeavor before he began and learned as he went, he even sewed the sails himself. When asked why he undertook it, he would reply "You need something crazy in your life to keep yourself from going crazy."

Here is a short list of what I'm excited about doing today (I'll be doing vitally necessary mundane stuff too. Like paying bills and meeting some routine obligations. However, this list is the things that seem like they'll give me a boost. Whereas my day-to-day commitments are my nutritious meal, these are the deserts that make we want to eat my vegetables.—not the best of metaphors as I love vegetables, but the point is clear.)

-Planning parts of a Samhain/Halloween ritual (I'd like to finish it tonight to send out to my co-planners)
-Beginning to document the mission statement and overall plan of a fundraising effort (I'd like to send out a first installment to council members tonight)
-Revising my resume and pursuing a job... whether I actually want the job or not, I'm excited about doing it for the clarity that it will bring toward my overall career visioning process (the application is due by Nov 2nd at the latest)

Note to Nameless Daughter: You need something crazy to be excited about to keep yourself from going crazy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home