Name:

I'm in process and finding my way and gaining clarity daily. Current explorations include but are not limited to: Equanimity/Letting Go, Humor/Accepting the Absurdity, Will/Desire, & Action/Making Manefest. For my post about how this blog was named go here

Friday, October 22, 2004

3 career paths to decide between.

I'm at a loss on how little progress I've made in the way of clarifying my career goals or reentering the work force after my move

I have 3 main options.

1) do freelance information gathering work for non-profits
2) do fundraising work in a regular job situation
3) do depth psychology/ values clarification/coaching work

1 & 2 could be done pretty much right now without any further credentialing.
1 would take a-lot of ground work and self initiative, but I could do it. It would be augmented if I also sought a degree or fundraising certificate while doing it. While I do freelance information brokering, I could also work on advancing to consulting in fundraising strategy as long as I build up my credentials with the certificate program, some volunteering and some speaking at associations. It is actually a rather viable path but requires applied effort. (can't be lazy or unmotivated. must be inspired and sustain faith for this one)

2) could be done now, and would be more comfortable for me as someone else would call the shots for my day to day work as it would be a job, not freelance. But I'd risk (no, I'd be likely to) enter at a lower level of status than I'd like and would have to prove myself over time to move up to the level of responsibility and respect that I want to ultimately find myself. I see that I'd enter at a lower level as my front line fundraising background isn't nearly as strong as my information brokering background. Again, this could be augmented by getting a fundraising cert or degree in non-profit management while working and my status could also increase if I do a small amount of freelance info brokering on the side and speak at associations about that. This way, I'd be rounding out my skills in a paid position while still using my strongest assets now and then.

3) I could revive the passion that I tossed away for practical reasons over 10 years ago when I had to sustain my husband and I though his education—I could do work in the area of teaching emotional intelligence and self-awareness skills. This is tricky. Although I could build a curriculum, I have no recent experience, a very old undergraduate degree in it, and no masters level authority to rest on/rather unprofessional. I think I should not look to this as an income for now, but pursue it as a serious interest through nonpaying opportunities. It is important enough to me as a value that I can revive it first kind of as a hobby and then see where it takes me. I will nonetheless look at the necessary training to make it a profession, but I'm quite certain it will take more time and $ than is practicable in my current life situation to do. Looking into making this a profession should take a backburner to 1 & 2 though since it will require so much more of my time, $ and energy resources (all of which are spread pretty thin at the moment).

somehow at the moment option 2 seems easiest to me. I'm not sure that easiest is best though. I'll explore next steps for each option later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home