Name:

I'm in process and finding my way and gaining clarity daily. Current explorations include but are not limited to: Equanimity/Letting Go, Humor/Accepting the Absurdity, Will/Desire, & Action/Making Manefest. For my post about how this blog was named go here

Monday, October 18, 2004

Things take time and aren't always pleasant...but are, afterall, well worth the effort

A post ago, I wrote about a task that I was not looking forward to or likely to enjoy doing much, but that I was committed to getting done just the same. I spoke of how a dear friend had tried to encourage me with his wish that I "have fun" while doing it. He purported that "having fun at whatever we do is the definition of freedom." I wasn't anticipating having any fun and just saw it as something that needed to be accomplished whatever the mood. Surely, I would have been happiest in-the-moment to have not done the task facing me then, but I wouldn't be nearly as happy now if the task weren't effectively done.

Now, "Freedom," like "Truth" is a very complicated thing! But having "fun" probably has little to do with defining either. Just the same, it would be fabulous if I could have fun in every moment of my life, or even if I could keep my mood positive and light. But I just don't see that as being likely or even practicable (unless I find a good manageable drug). Maybe this friend was trying to tell me to "lighten-up" in general—but that's another blog entirely.

In the end, I didn't have much "fun" while doing it, but I am sure in better humor now that it is done. It was indeed worth enduring a day of unpleasantness for the good result.

I can say that I felt "free" in that I was able to commit to something that was decidedly important to me and that will clearly make my life easier/happier/more likely to be fulfilling as a result of my efforts. The ability to choose those things that will most suit us over time is indeed a form of freedom. In turn, if I don't exercise my will to do those things that I know will improve my life or situation, I'm binding myself in a form of restriction.

Notes to a Nameless Daughter: Two truths are evident from this task 1) my efforts can be meaningful and rewarding and 2) enjoyment comes in delayed doses sometimes. (The corollary is: it is sometimes worth enduring unpleasantness or being overwhelmed for the reward on the other side)

I am also reminded of the question: "How do you eat an elephant?"
The answer of course is simply "one bite at a time!"

(...BTW, I don't think I said what the project itself was. Truly, it could have been almost anything and what it was is less important than how I was approaching it and how I felt about doing it—but for the record, it was a day of cleaning, purging and reorganizing the chaotic entryway to my home in preparation for the coming winter. I cleared a 6'x6' space of boxes and less-than-functional furniture, to make a pleasant and efficient space for hanging our coats and storing our boots, mittens, keys, and day bags, etc. so that our comings and goings will be easier. (I will for some time be focusing on all corners of our living space in a similar way. I'll especially be thinning out our belongings, and organizing/reorganizing all corners of our small living space. I find this a daunting unpleasant task, but it is necessary and well worthwhile because 1) we have moved from a much larger home to a smaller transitional city apartment and have too many belongings for our current living situation and 2) for our long-term goal of having a well-ordered home. 3) Also, we hope someday in the next 5 years to be able to buy a house and want to start out that new home with only the things we most care about—not the 40+ years of extraneous clutter we moved with this time. I will write more about this task over time as it will be an ongoing long-term project.)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home