Name:

I'm in process and finding my way and gaining clarity daily. Current explorations include but are not limited to: Equanimity/Letting Go, Humor/Accepting the Absurdity, Will/Desire, & Action/Making Manefest. For my post about how this blog was named go here

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Things take time...tick, tick, tick

I got the white rabbit tattooed on my butt as a totem some years ago. I was celebrating that I no longer felt at odds with time any more--time had become my friend. I used it well and no longer horded it. Of course, all things are relative, I could still use some improvement in time management. But on the whole my relationship with time had vastly improved from when I was younger. The change was mosty about shedding resistance and opening to enthousiasm, thereby owning my time better.
Just the same, oy, time itself is not something that it's easy to come to terms with. Even though I'm better at choosing what I use my time for, I cannot alter the fundamental nature of time--or the amount of time it takes to do a given thing. If it is a thing I enjoy, no problem, I'd just as soon it last forever. But I'm challenged to maintain enthousiasm and engagement for some things that are dull (or even disheartening).
We all do it, find ways around noticing how time is slipping from us--whistle while you work, count sheep while waiting for sleep, watch the clock. But how do we find ways to enjoy our time more even when we are doing what we don't want to. I was challenged with this from a friend today: "I hope you can have fun with what needs to be done -- that's the definition of freedom" I've decided I'm not up to "having fun" at the task at hand that I see as tedious. I will instead maintain my efforts by remembering why I want it done as I do it and will juice as much joy as I can from envisioning how satisfied I'll be when I'm done. But hey, sometimes, things just aren't fun or a kick at all, they are just something I feel I have to turn my mind off to and do.
I can say that I'm glad I'm doing the task at hand. I very much want the results. I'm grateful I have the time to devote to it.
And to make it more enjoyable, I'll turn on some good music to while away the time it takes to do it. And I'll turn off my head to chop wood and carry water. But hey, I doubt I'll be having fun. Does everything have to be fun?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home